Our Neodymium Carboxylate is used to manufacture a Ziegler-Natta catalyst, required for the polymerisation of butadiene. The Neodymium Catalyst is reacted with a chlorine donor, such as a Di-alkyl Aluminium Chloride, or Ethyl Aluminium Sesquichloride (EASC), as well as an aluminium activator, such as a Di-alkyl Aluminium Hydride.
The product manufactured with our Neodymium catalyst is a high CIS content, high impact resistant Butadiene Rubber suitable for tyre manufacture and other applications. Comar Chemicals manufactures its Neodymium Catalyst with a unique chemical procedure, unlike the chemical processes which are used to manufacture other Neodymium Catalysts that are available commercially elsewhere.
Compared with commercially available Neodymium Catalysts, the advantages relating to Comar’s product are :
- The catalyst exhibits a very high activity in polymerising butadiene. Typically over 95 % conversion efficiencies are achieved in 30 minute polymerisation tests.
- The Butadiene Rubber has CIS contents in excess of 98 %, and the rubber molecules exhibit a high degree of linearity, leading to favourable physical properties.
- The Butadiene Rubber molecular weight distribution is narrow, which has positive advantages in physical properties of the rubber, as well as allowing the long-term continuous runnability of the rubber manufacturing process.
- The liquid Neodymium catalyst is stable at high solids contents over long time periods, and will maintain its catalytic efficiency in liquid storage for 2 years or longer. Precipitation of an inactive Neodymium Sludge from the liquid catalyst will not occur. In Comar’s Neodymium catalyst, no excess additives of any kind are used to manipulate product stability, and hence no concern exists as to how these additives may interfere with the formation of the active catalyst complex.
- The high activity of Comar’s Neodymium Catalyst allows for the optimisation of the Neodymium to Aluminium ratios to levels not commonly reported in literature, thereby reducing overall catalysts system costs.
Comar’s Neodymium Catalysts are typically supplied with a Neodymium metal content of 8.8 %, and a total solids content of 40 %. The product is traded as COMCAT Nd-8.8 (V), in case of our Neodymium Neodecanoate. Other carboxylic acids may also be used for the manufacture of the Neodymium Carboxylate. Hexane, or Cyclohexane is used as a solvent for the catalyst. Other solvents may also be specified. Full Technical Specifications, Safety Data Sheets and samples of this material are available on request.